Frequently Asked Questions

What is public art?
In general, public art is artwork(s) displayed in publicly accessible places and buildings. Up until the mid 20th century, public art such as sculptures, mosaics, carvings and handmade building elements were normal parts of a building. To restore the lost aesthetic qualities, more than 350 American states, counties and cities have required public art in public and/or private construction. Today, public art is consisted of traditional sculptures, murals, and a full range of pieces made by artists for buildings, streetscapes and landscapes.

Who manages the public art program?
The Community Development Division of the City of Coral Springs manages the program. An appointed citizen committee, the Public Art Committee (PAC), approves artwork proposals and final artwork placement on private property.

What qualifies as public art?
For this program, artwork can be many kinds of artistic creation by a professional artist. The PAC recommends the evaluation of the artist first, then the artwork. In general, these artists must have experience in public art and be recognized via museum exhibitions, publication and other cultural institutions. Reproductions of original artwork, unlimited copies or mass-produced art objects do not satisfy this program. No matter the quality, items designed by the architects or other designers on the construction project will not satisfy this program.

What types of public art does the City prefer?
The first criterion for the public art selection is to select the finest artwork available that is appropriate to the particular location. The city has established priority themes, qualities and types within the selection guidelines. Sculptures, interactive artworks, fountains/water features, urban furnishings and contemporary design-integrated public art are priority artwork types for the committee.

What construction projects must pay the art fee or install artworks?
All construction projects in non-residential zoning districts with more than 12,500 square feet of estimated gross floor area of new, redeveloped, remodeled and/or converted space. In mixed-use districts and multi-family districts, the construction must exceed 12,500 SF AND the site must be greater than one acre. In phased construction, all the square footage will be added together to evaluate the threshold of 12,500 SF.

How much will the program cost the property owner?
The owner may pay a fee or purchase artwork for the property. If the owner pays the fee to the City of Coral Springs, the amount is $0.43 per square foot in new construction and $0.22 per square foot in renovations. If the owner purchases artwork, the owner must spend $0.54 per square foot in new construction and $0.27 per square foot in renovations. The amounts are for 2008-2010 only. In October of each year, the figures will be adjusted as per the Consumer Price Index.

When does the property owner pay the fee?
Before the issuance of the building permit, the property owner must pay the art fee to the City of Coral Springs or place the art purchase funds in escrow with the City of Coral Springs. At any time later, the property owner can abandon the artwork purchase process and contribute the escrowed monies to the Public Art Fund.

Is the property owner required to have public art on his/her property?
No, the developer may contribute the entire art fee to the Public Art Fund for artworks on public lands in the city. The PAC will create a master plan of potential artworks in the city and a plaque will acknowledge the property owner’s contribution.

If the owner wants artwork, where is the artwork located on the property?
Up to 75% of the art budget must be spent for artworks clearly visible from the public sidewalk or public space. Any remainder can be in areas of the building or site that are clearly visible only during business hours. The artwork locations should be proposed by the owner and then must be approved by the PAC. In the guidelines, the City has established suggested locations for artworks on properties along part of Sample Road, at all University Drive intersections and in the future Downtown area in the CRA.

How does artwork on private property get selected?
First, the property owner should meet with Community Development staff and discuss the project as early as possible in the planning and design process. Issues of sites, costs and artwork quality will be discussed. Once agreed and a site(s) determined, the property owner can choose from two methods. The owner can ask the PAC to use its selection method or the owner can propose directly an artist or work of art. In both cases, the PAC and the owner must approve the final result.

What if the property owner and the PAC cannot agree on an artwork?
If no agreement is reached on the artworks, the property owner can end the selection process and contribute the art fee to the Public Art Fund. Or the owner can appeal the decision to the City Commission on the grounds that the proposed artwork does satisfy the adopted guidelines of the City’s Public Art Program.

How much time does the owner have to propose and install artwork?
Unless extended by the PAC, the owner has six months from the issuance of the building permit to secure the approval of the PAC on a proposed artwork(s). The owner has six months from the issuance of the certificate of occupancy to install the artwork. If either deadline is missed without a granted extension, the art fee money in escrow will be deposited in the Public Art Fund for use in the City. With the contribution to the Public Art Fund, the owner has no responsibility to install artworks.

Does the public art affect the certificate of occupancy?

Who owns the artwork?
The property owner.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of the artwork?
The property owner.