During a May 15, 2006 ceremony, held at the North Broward Medical Center, Station 71 B Shift crews were honored as the 2005 North Broward Hospital District Paramedics of the Year. Engine 71 and Rescue 71 were dispatched to a report of a child that was possibly choking in a vehicle. When crews arrived they discovered a two-year-old boy had swallowed a plastic ring that was approximately the size of a half dollar. The plastic ring was blocking almost the entire airway of the child resulting in low saturation and extreme cyanosis. The crew, under the direction of Lt. Mike Latino, decided that movement could cause a compete obstruction of the airway. The team decided to quickly transport the patient. The ENT Dr. at the hospital praised the crew stating if they had made any unnecessary invasive actions on the patient, he would have had a complete obstruction. The Dr. noted that their actions saved the life of the child.