CVS Pharmacy and the National Council on Aging (NCOA) have launched a Pack Your Bag™ community outreach program as part of their ongoing partnership designed to improve the lives of older Americans. The program will be administered by the CSPD’s Seniors and Law Enforcement Together Group on Wednesday, November 17 at 11 a.m. at Sartory Senior Center.
Seniors will pack a bag with prescription and over the counter medications and dietary supplements, including vitamins, for a comprehensive review in one-on-one consultations with a local CVS pharmacist. The program also includes a presentation by the pharmacist on improving health through medication compliance.
The free one-on-one medication consultation will give seniors a chance to:
· Ask questions about their prescription and non-prescription medications
· Receive tips and tools for medication compliance and ways to save money on medication
· Determine if there are any potential interactions between prescription medications
· Identify duplicated and expired medications
In over 4,000 Pack Your Bag consultations since the program’s inception in 2008, CVS pharmacists have found:
· 7% of seniors were taking expired medications
· 14% were not taking medications as prescribed
· 10% were at risk for potential drug interactions
· 15% had the opportunity to switch to money-saving generics
“The findings of our Pack Your Bag program underscore the importance of reviewing your medication regimen with your pharmacist on a regular basis, especially when filling a new prescription,” said Papatya Tankut, R.Ph., Vice- President of Pharmacy Professional Services at CVS Pharmacy. “For older people who often see multiple doctors, the pharmacy is a central point of care where potential drug interactions can be averted. What’s more, pharmacists are aware of the latest generics available and can suggest ways to save money.”
Sartory Senior Center is located at 10150 NW 29 St. in Mullins Park. For more information, call 954-344-1833.