Coral Springs- On October 28th, 2010, the homeowner at 2325 NW 98th Terrace called 911 to report a smell of smoke in his home. When Coral Springs Fire Department crews arrived, he told them that lightning struck his house sometime around 8 a.m. this morning, but he did not notice any problems at that time.
Apparently when the lightning struck the home, it started a fire in the attic in two separate locations. The fire extinguished itself from a lack of oxygen, but smoldered for some time until the resident smelled the smoke.
Coral Springs firefighters had to open several walls and ceilings to pinpoint the location of the fire. Specialized “Thermal Imaging Cameras” were used to find the heat signatures present behind the walls. Those heat signatures spotted by the cameras helped firefighters find and extinguish the remaining fires.
The damage to the home was minimum, partly because firefighters had time to protect furniture and other household items.
Coral Springs Fire Chief Mark Curran said, “This fire should be a reminder to all of our residents just how dangerous lightning can be. We hope everyone takes caution by seeking cover and shelter during a storm”.