If you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms please call the BROWARD CORONAVIRUS CALL CENTER HOTLINE: 954-357-9500.  

Abandoned/Vacant Property Registration

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Vacant Residential Buildings and Dwellings Must be Registered

Properties that have been abandoned and are allowed to become overgrown, and those whose structures are left open and unsecured, not only have a negative impact on community value, but also create conditions that invite criminal activity and foster an environment that is unsafe and unhealthy for our community. It is for these reasons that abandoned properties must be maintained so as not to create these nuisance conditions.

In an effort to curtail the growing problem of abandoned and neglected properties, on June 3, 2008 the City Commission adopted Ordinance 2008-109 establishing Chapter 16 ½ in the Land Development Code, requiring lenders to register these properties with the City's Code Compliance division.

The registration program for abandoned residential property insures communication between the lender and the City with respect to any potential or existing violations and provides the City contact information for the service provider or property preservation firm retained by the lender to abate such violations. This will not only help to preserve property values, but will also insure the health, safety, and general welfare of neighborhoods in which these properties exist.

  • Mortgagees of abandoned residential real property holding a mortgage that is in default must register the property.
  • The Mortgagee is required to provide the City with, among other things, the name and contact telephone number of the service provider or local property management company responsible for the maintenance of the property.
  • The Mortgagee is responsible for posting a sign on the property, clearly visible from the street, containing the same contact information.
  • The Mortgagee pays an annual registration fee of one-hundred fifty dollars ($150) dollars per property.
  • The Mortgagee, or designee, must inspect the abandoned property on a bi-weekly basis and to correct certain code violations, which may exist.

For additional information, you may contact the Code Compliance Division at (954) 344-5964.

DISCLAIMER: The answers below are intended to provide guidance for commonly asked questions. However, these answers do not cover every scenario and do not replace the adopted provisions of Ordinance 2008-109, which controls the administration of the program.


  • I own and occupy a single‐family house. Do I have to register?
  • I own a single‐family house which is currently occupied by tenants. Do I have to register?
  • My residential property is occupied but is in default with my mortgagor, do I have to register?
  • I own an apartment complex with multiple buildings containing multiple dwelling units. Some buildings are completely vacant. Other buildings are fully or partially occupied. Do I have to register all or some of the buildings?
  • I own a single‐family house that is for sale, but has been vacant for more than a month. Do I have to register?
  • When do I register?
  • Where do I go to register?
  • How much does it cost to register?
  • Once I register, how long does the registration last?
  • At the end of the twelve months, must I register again and pay a new fee?
  • I previously registered my vacant residential building but it is now occupied. What do I do?
  • I recently acquired a building for which a registration statement was filed by the previous owner five months ago. Must I do anything?
  • I am the owner that filed the original registration statement but my contact and/or agent information has changed. Must I do anything?
  • Once I register, is there anything else I have to do for the next twelve months with respect to the vacant residential building?
More »