The Coral Springs MLK Committee is proud to announce the 2nd Annual MLK Monument Award which will be presented on the birthday weekend of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in January 2019. For the past 29 years, the Coral Springs Martin Luther King, Jr. Committee, with the support of the City, has dedicated itself to living and perpetuating the dreams of Dr. King.
- To honor an individual or organization in Coral Springs who embodies the ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Any individual who lives or works in the City of Coral Springs
- Any business or organization based in the City of Coral Springs
Note: Current city officials or candidates for public office are not eligible to apply or be nominated.
- Individuals, businesses or organizations may submit applications for themselves, or be nominated by others.
Nominees must demonstrate dedication to the Coral Springs community by giving of their time,talent or treasure in harmony with the ideals of Dr. King. They should embody qualities expressed in one or more of the Monument quotes listed below:
- Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude.
- Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.
- Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
- Courage faces fear and thereby masters it.
- We must all learn to live together as brothers - or we will all perish together as fools.
- The time is always right to do what is right.
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.
- True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.
- We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?
- One recipient will be selected annually by the MLK Monument Award Selection Committee to receive the award which consists of an enlarged replica of the MLK Monument with the recipient’s name on it. All nominees will be honored with a Certificate of Recognition at the Annual MLK Luncheon on Friday, January 18, 2019 whether in attendance or not. The Award Recipient will be announced at this time at the Luncheon in addition to also being recognized at a City Commission meeting.
- Nominations for the 2019 Award (whether mailed, submitted online or hand-delivered) must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on December 10, 2018 in the
Community Relations Office, City Hall
Attn: Joyce Campos
9500 West Sample Road, Coral Springs, Florida 33065