To provide scholarship funds to financially deserving local students who, through their words and actions, embody the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s teachings on peace, racial harmony, community service and bettering the lives of others.
The scholarship will be administered by the Coral Springs Community Chest, via the City of Coral Springs’ Martin Luther King, Jr. Committee. Scholarship funds cover the 2018-2019 academic year only and monies will be awarded to the educational institution that you will be attending.
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship program will award non-renewable scholarships to high school seniors selected from each of the five schools serving Coral Springs: Taravella High, Stoneman Douglas High, Coral Springs High, Coral Springs Charter School and Coral Glades High.
Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship funds will be awarded directly to the educational institution that the student will be attending, upon proof of final admission and/or documentation that the student has enrolled in the institution
2017 MLK Scholarship Recipients
Primary consideration will be given to students who demonstrate a financial need for the scholarship funds. This will be supplemented by completion of the other requirements and the applicant’s overall application. Awards will be made without regard to race, creed, color, sex, religion, or national origin.
Chances for being awarded the scholarship are increased if the student is in the process of performing an act of humanity or community service that touches the lives of one or more persons. This must be verified in writing by either a teacher, guidance counselor or clergy representative.
All eligible applicants will be interviewed by a panel before a selection is made.
In addition, the applicant must:
- Be a Coral Springs resident for at least a year.
- Be a high school senior currently enrolled in Taravella High, Stoneman Douglas High, Coral Springs High, Coral Springs Charter or Coral Glades High.
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.50.
- Plan to attend an accredited college, university or technical institute during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Applicants must meet eligibility qualifications. Detach the application form. Keep the information section for reference.
- Complete and sign the application form.
- Submit a current, sealed official transcript.
- Ask a teacher, guidance counselor and/or clergy representative to submit a letter of recommendation on behalf of the student.
- Submit a copy of the student's FAFSA application and/or family's Income Tax Return.
- Submit proof of acceptance to college, university or technical school no later than June 1, 2018.
- Students who are interviewed will be required to submit verification of financial need.
The deadline for receiving scholarship applications is Monday, March 12, 2018.
Hand-delivered applications should be in our hands by 5 p.m. on Monday, March 12, 2018.
Mailed applications should be postmarked no later than March 12, 2018.
Selected students will be interviewed in mid April.
Please mail (or hand-deliver) completed application to:
Community Relations Manager
9551 West Sample Road
Coral Springs, Florida 33065
If you have any questions or need any other information, please contact Joyce Campos at 954-344-1005.The Community Chest and Martin Luther King, Jr. Committee reserve the right to revise, suspend or discontinue this program without notice.